Contact Information

shenstewcat@gmail.com

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Almost a month ago....there was a small fire in Little Creek

Yes, there was a small ground fire in Little Creek subdivision on April 23.  But no need for concern or worry to homeowners  I am just informing you because of the AMAZINGLY fast response by Bonito Volunteer Fire Department, Sheriff Department, volunteer firefighters and Forest Service personnel.  About 12 different emergency vehicles responded immediately and knocked out the ground fire.  One of the vacant properties where the fire traveled was previously owned by my sister.  My husband and I had cleaned it for her with an in-kind grant from the NM Forestry around 2002.  So I was very familiar with the layout of that property and those surrounding it.  Exploring the vacant land once owned my family member, I could see where the fire traveled and also where firefighters drew a fire line along the sometime creek. .

SO - the most important lesson learned, besides keeping your land free of slash and ground clutter, is that our local fire fighting services are FAST.
THANK YOU to all the fire fighters!
Fire traveled below power lines, staying on the ground.

Fire line by fire fighters by sometime creek

Rocks don't burn - Monjeau Tower is an excellent example of that fact.

Photo from Nov 2002 while clearing property

No comments:

Post a Comment